The K-5 Mathematics Endorsement preparation program is one of the action plans resulting from our conceptual framework process and is part of our core work supported by the RESA staff.
The need for the K-5 Mathematics Endorsement program resulted from the following:
- Mathematics education has changed dramatically since the publication of the NCTM standards
- GPS implementation indicated an increased need for developing content knowledge as well as pedagogical techniques for P-5 math teachers to improve student achievement and reduce achievement gaps in mathematics
- Needs assessment data from member systems, student performance in the area of mathematics on standardized tests, and the inclusion of actions steps to increase mathematics achievement in system and school improvement plans provide further evidence to necessitate the implementation of the Early Childhood Mathematics Endorsement Program.
Northeast Georgia RESA is committed to preparing its teachers to teach a rigorous standards-based mathematics curriculum by providing experiences to develop (a) in-depth content knowledge and understanding of pedagogy, (b) exemplary instructional skills based on research and designed to meet state and national standards, and (c) dispositions to help all students learn.
Overall Program Goals
Content focus varies by course; however, several high-level goals remain consistent throughout the sequence. Overall goals include:
- Solve problems using multiple strategies, manipulatives, and technological tools; interpret solutions; and determine reasonableness of answers and efficiency of methods
- Nurture collaboration, critical thinking, hands-on exploration, manipulative use, problem-based inquiry, technology utilization, and activity implementation addressing various leaning styles and multiple intelligences
- Select and use a variety of formative and summative assessment techniques to monitor student progress, gauge students’ mathematical understandings, and interpret school-based progress.
The program consists of four content courses and a field experience:
- Understanding Number and Operations
- Understanding Geometry
- Understanding Algebra
- Understanding Data Analysis and Probability